This DIY Margherita Pizza would be great for a date night in! I do have to give credit to my mother for this one. She made this recipe for us last week and it’s a keeper! We used Bobby Flay’s pizza dough recipe which can be found by clicking on the link below. Also, this recipe makes 2 pizzas! The great thing about making your own pizza is you can even make it gluten-free with a gluten-free dough!
For a crispy crust use bread flour. If you prefer a more chewy crust you can substitute the bread flour for all-purpose flour. Also, flour your pizza stone to prevent the crust from sticking.
Servings: 2 Pizzas Prep Time: 2 hours w/rising of dough
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes Total Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
2- 14.5 ounce cans Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
1- 8 ounce fresh mozzarella ball
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp + 2 tsp olive oil(divided)
6 fresh basil leaves(sliced)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine tomatoes, 2 tsp olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper in large bowl for sauce.
3. Roll pizza dough and place on floured pizza stone or lightly greased baking sheet.
4. Evenly brush 1 tsp of olive oil on each pizza dough.
5. Distribute pizza sauce on both pizzas and top with thinly sliced mozzarella and fresh basil.
6. Bake pizzas for 15-20 minutes at 450 degrees. Remove from oven and drizzle a small amount of olive oil on to the pizzas to help with the acidity of the sauce.
7. Serve with your favorite glass of wine and enjoy!