Thin Mint meets Devils Food Cake. These mint chocolate cupcakes are so tasty and a nice change from your everyday cupcake. I used olive oil mayo in the cupcakes to keep them moist. You can substitute the mayo for sour cream or plain Greek yogurt but it might give it a slight different flavor. Honestly, I can not taste the mayo at all in these little treats. Another recommendation I have is to use 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract in the frosting instead of 1 teaspoon for a less minty flavor.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes.
1 package Devil’s Food Cake Mix
1 Package Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
1/2 cup Olive Oil Mayo(see above for substitutions)
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs(beaten)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 tsp mint extract
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter(softened)
6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp of mint extract
1 tsp salt
several drops of green gel food coloring
mini chocolate chips for topping
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all cake ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well until batter is smooth.
3. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
4. Fill cups about halfway full/2 tablespoons each.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire baking rack.
1. Combine butter and powdered sugar in kitchen mixing bowl and beat until crumbled.
2. Add the cream, vanilla, mint, salt and food coloring.
3. Beat on medium high speed for about 2 minutes until frosting is smooth.
4. Add frosting into a piping bag with a decorative tip. If you do not have a piping bag you can cut the corner off of a Ziploc sandwich bag.
5. Frost cupcakes in a circular motion.
6. Top with mini chocolate chips.